Wednesday 27 May 2020

ON THE TRAIL OF NAZI FUGITIVES - AUTHOR PHILLIPE SANDS

I like to read crime novels, but my interest is never confined to one subject. I have always had a deep interest in history which, in many ways, are the stories of true crime over centuries. And now I have another book to read that takes me back into the extremely dark days of World War Two, the Third Reich and the horrors of war and extermination.


The Baillie Gifford Prize, 2016 for non-fiction was awarded to Phillipe Sands for his book East West Street. It was a read that has stayed with me ever since I held the book in my hand. Put simply, it is the story of three people, their histories with the author being one, and two Jewish law students who studied in Lviv. The city was, during the 1930’s, in Poland and has come under not only Facist rule, but also Soviet rule too. It has many unfortunate stories to tell. The two law students are important in the sphere of world order in the context of ‘Crimes Against Humanity’ and Genocide. My blog of 31st December 2016 adds some more facts.

We were fortunate to spend time in the home of friends in Torshavn on the Faroes Islands. A young son of the family was interested in World War Two and with family guidance he continued his interest. After reading East West Street he became the second owner of the book.

Recently through Blackwells I have one more book by Phillipe Sands, The Rat Line. The cover proclaims ‘Love, Lies and Justice on the Trail of a Nazi Fugitive’. I want to read it now but The Crime Writer's Book list has to take priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment