Saturday 2 May 2020

A SMALL REPRIEVE AFTER COVID19 LOCKDOWN

I can legally get out of the house from today. Hooray. Seven weeks of national lockdown was being eased. I walked out for my allotted time at 10am. It was 21 degrees with a forecasted high of 28. The sun was strong, but I was happy just to be out. We live within 100 metres of the edge of town and so I was soon out into the countryside. First up were two Red-rumped Swallows with a possible nesting site in the tunnel under the new road. Barn Swallows and House Martins were also evident. We are also lucky to have a strong number of House Sparrows.

Amongst the undergrowth I spooked Wood Pigeons. A Kestrel flew - not an unusual sight around the town - and one Hoopoe flew across and Starlings too. With no human activity for weeks there was bird song all around. There was a lot of evidence of rabbit who have been spared by no hunting.

From several directions I could hear Turtle Doves calling and I think I had a fleeting glimpse of one. Collared Doves are always evident. Large white butterflies, but not in great numbers. The recent heavy rains had allowed luxuriant vegetation to grow. There was a great crop of thistle with petals fading and seeds to set. It bodes well for the finches.

I am allowed out for one hour- between 7-8pm and I will take the same route in the evening. Both Nightingale and Red-necked Nightjars frequent this area. The only disappointment was I neither heard or saw Bee-eaters. All to look out for and more to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment