Tuesday 19 May 2020

VAL McDERMID's - HOW THE DEAD SPEAK

Book Review

How The Dead Speak

Val McDermid

Little Brown

Even thinking about commenting on any novel by Val McDermid is a challenge for me. Am I being stupid to attempt to pass judgement on a prolific author like ‘The Queen of Crime’ or have I forgotten that saying, ‘the reader is always right’? Well, the worse beating that I can receive is a deluge of words hurled my way by the literati. I'll just be careful when I go out!

There are already ten books in the Carol Jordan and Tony Hill thriller series and although I have read others it is not a ‘must’ to have indulged in the previous ones. Of course it's good to get to know the characters as soon as possible!

The prologue, over two full pages, gives the background and sets two of the characters up wonderfully well, but doesn't go any further.

I loved the format with a piece of wisdom, quotes from Reading Crimes, by Dr. Tony Hill at the commencement of each chapter. It was compulsive reading.

Well, what's it about? The title gives some of the story away because, as you can guess, there will be some bodies and the who and the why is what drives this thriller to its conclusions. Val McDermid throws into the mix, a football club, fans, kudos and egos. That is normally enough to stir up emotions, but she adds into that the interactions between members of the investigation team where some have worked together and others haven't. There is the usual jockeying for position and recognition. And l love it when there is friction between middle management. Two preening ‘cocks’ of equal rank going toe-to-toe and with that scenario there is absolutely no need to send in any desk-bound top cops to apply more pressure.

Integral to all of it is the ‘side issue’ of priests, nuns and the secrecy of the Catholic Church. That will be too much for some, but it adds other ingredients.

She acknowledges the people that have lent their expertise to her and she also says and I quote ‘Sometimes I ignore what they tell me for dramatic effect, but mostly I absorb it gratefully and play it back to my readers’.

If you want any more confirmation that this writer is a ‘class act’ then read her work. And don't forget to bow or curtsy when you meet her for she is ‘The Queen of Crime’ to me.

John Edwards 18th May 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment