Monday 1 June 2020

A QUICK CHECK FOR EAGLE OWLS

June 1st and it is the first day of summer although our temperatures in San Miguel de Salinas have been easily in the high twenties. Although today, there is high cloud with a hazy light. Now we are in stage two we can go to, in and around Alicante, and this will be our destination with Bryan as extra ballast on Friday.

This evening I headed towards Torremendo and then towards Estación to check on the pine ridge that has provided a nesting site for the Eagle Owls - Búho Real -and to see what else was on view.
I expected it to be quiet and it was. Almost a total absence of small birds, but with a Blackbird continually calling. Amongst the pines Turtle Doves called from several locations and one flew in clear view. A Common Cuckoo called three times and that was it.

The verges on the sides of the road was been strimmed to nothing and so no wild flowers to admire. A couple of Swifts provided a fly past as I descended back into Torremendo. On passing Embalse de Pedrera i noticed that the water level was high and that could prove advantageous when I next visit. I know that Glossy Ibis have been seen in the area.

I drove into San Miguel via the canal which is my first trip along it since the series of heavy rains in the autumn and this spring. There had been damage, some had been repaired and the roadway still needed attention. Two Little Grebes were the only birds seen. Maybe the other normal residents had been washed away!

So good to be out and only my second trip of 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment