Friday 5 January 2024

A MESSAGE FROM ROB POWNAL FOUNDER OF PROTECT THE WILD. IT IS AN AMAZING READ

Thank you.

It never quite feels enough to just say ‘thank you’ but it is hard to know how else I can express my gratitude for your support over not just the last year but the last 9! To think that I set up Protect the Wild as nothing more than a Facebook page from my bedroom as a 16 year old with zero pounds in the bank is quite mind boggling.


I was an impassioned and admittedly naive teenager just trying to do something to make a difference. Pictured above is a speech I made as a teenager at Downing Street for the 2017 Make Hunting History March. It was one of the most frightening things I had ever done but also remains the proudest moment of my life. I was standing up for something I believed in and every single day since I have poured everything into making the world a better place for animals.


And here we are in 2024. The start of another year. Now with a small but incredibly determined team working together to end the torture and abuse of wildlife. We don’t operate like other organisations. We’re not afraid to say it how it is. We have no major donors calling the shots or telling us what we can and can’t do. We are backed solely by our supporters all chipping in small amounts on a regular basis and I couldn’t be prouder to be a part of this amazing movement we have built from nothing.


In the last 12 months, thanks to your support, we have made huge progress in the fight to protect wildlife. We funded a shocking undercover investigation into the treatment of hounds at the Border Hunt. We produced 5 hard-hitting short animations shedding light on everything from stag hunting to hound shooting. And these films were viewed an astonishing 8 million times in 2023. We also launched our equipment fund which saw us give out items to a dozen groups from across the UK!


Our Substack newsletters are now being seen 900,000 times each month. And we’re appearing at the top of Google for hundreds of wildlife related search results thanks to the launch of ‘Protectors of the Wild’, a first of its kind knowledge base for all things wildlife. We helped save badgers and other wild animals when we stepped in to support a community in Saltdean to protect land from developers. And we launched our proposals for a new proper ban on hunting after working with a top legal firm. Our subsequent petition for ‘The Hunting of Mammals Bill’ has now been signed by over 50,000 people.


This is just the beginning. As an organisation we are just a few years old. And it is incredible to think what we could do for wildlife with your continued support.


I would be lying if I said what we do is easy because it isn’t. 2023 was an incredibly stressful year for many reasons and the trolling from pro-hunt and pro-shoot supporters is at an all time high. I have to continue to ignore it the best I can. But it is because we are winning and they hate us for it.


They hate the fact we are standing up for what is right. We’re the newcomers on the scene and we’re disrupting the status quo.


I want 2024 to be even bigger. I want to expose more people who think it is ok to abuse wildlife for kicks. Will you help me do that?


If you can afford to do so and are able to help, would you consider starting a New Year’s Resolution to help end hunting and shooting by setting up a small monthly donation?


I’m asking this because the potential outcome would be enormous heading into this year.


I know it’s a huge long shot but if each person reading this did sign up to a couple of pounds a month and sacrificed a takeaway couple, we would be able to complete January’s fundraising goal by the end of today! So I figured why not give it a go!


Thank you so much for taking the time to read this email. I am so hungry to take on 2024 with you in my corner and to work relentlessly in ensuring this is a great year for wildlife.


Onwards and upwards!


No comments:

Post a Comment