Monday 15 December 2014

Hondon

EL HONDON AGAIN.

This was my first visit for two weeks and the coldest one so far this winter with only five degrees, almost total cloud cover, but with a light cold wind.
Before I got out of the car I saw Reed Bunting (Escribano Palustre) feeding and Chiff (Mosquitero Íberico) there too. A Little Bittern (Avetorilla Común) called and flew.
I went straight to the far hide - the one at water level - and there on the water were at least two hundred Common Pochard (Porrón Europoea), several pair of Red-crested (Pato Colarado) and a good number of Shoveller (Cuchara Común) In the reeds at the side of the hide were three Reed Bunting giving some close views.
I moved back to the smaller hide to find that most people were on the board walk, at just above water level, and just giving closer views. I am told that they saw(amongst other things) two Spotted Eagles (Águila Moteada). I stayed where I was where I saw perched Marsh Harrier (Águillucho Lagunero), Booted Eagle (Águilla Calzada) and Buzzard (Ratonero). There was a high density of White Headed Duck, Gulls and in the far distance a large number of Coot (Focha Común). There was one Lesser Black-backed Gull (Gaviota Sombria) on view. Smaller birds were not to be easily seen but there were numerous Cetti's calling with Purple Gallinule, Little Bittern and Water Rail being noisy. My bogey bird, a Merlin (Esmerillòn, flew.
We were locked in and waiting to leave a juvenile Nigh Heron(Martinete Común) flew around us - so the experts say and I am sure that they are correct.
Although this is such an important site it is privately owned with access only allowed for birders for three hours on a Saturday morning. Next week there is a 'cycling event' and so we are excluded again.

No comments:

Post a Comment