Monday 24 November 2014

El Hondo

Another visit to El Hondo on Saturday 22nd saw a quiet, windless day with full cloud cover. As I drove down a Purple Galinule (Calamón Común) crossed the road in front of me. There were a large number of cars - 15 or so - this morning and I decided to go to the farthest hide. This one is at water level overlooking an expanse of water. Here Little Grebe (Zampullin Común) in beautiful condition swam around very close and so did a Black-necked Grebe (Zampullin Cuellinegro). In the distance were Pochard (Porrón Europea) and four Red-crested Pochard (Pato Colorado). I returned to this location later to hear Penduline Tit (Pájaron Moscón) calling and later three flew. (ID confirmed).
Unlike the previous week this was not an eagle morning but a Booted (Águlilla Calzada), Osprey (Pescadora) and a Peregrine was seen from the first hide on the right. There were many sightings of Kingfishers (Martin Pescador). Two flew away from me revealing their light blue backs and another flew across a canal at the same time as a male Little Bittern (Avetorillo Común). I also located on the side of a track(I believe) a first year female Reed Bunting (Escribano Palustre).
There were other varieties that I have not listed but I have tried to list what I had good views of.
Next Saturday there is a Cycling Event and so it is closed for us. I intend to go on the Saturdays in December and concentrate on the smaller, difficult to see birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment