Saturday 20 December 2014

Hereford United Football Club's demise

No visit to Hondon is possible this morning for us 'birders' because it has been handed over to cycling enthusiasts for an event. I suppose the birds will not care at all who is there.

But this morning has a bitter disappointment for me with the strap line on the news, in pure black and white, that Hereford United Football Club is neither United or even in existence. After so much acrimony, controversy and speculation as to fitness to be able to own a football club the end has come. The High Court says so and any resurrection is no longer possible.

I am sad. This is the team that I grew up with when they were a semi-pro outfit in the old Southern League. I lived for their success and was blooded in the glory and the passion of the FA Cup. I even saw them gain a two all draw at Selhurst Park, against Crystal Palace, in the old Second Division. Such heady days but being aware that a small town outfit could not have the financial clout to maintain that standard.

I now have one less result to look for on Saturdays, something that I have done for over sixty years.

FIFA are again in the bad news column and the 'stench of corruption' (as quoted on-line) can be tasted in every part of the football world. I don't think that I will watch future soccer world cups as a useful and fulfilling way of spending my time.

Thankfully Rugby Football has taken over for me. It is more transparent and the 'man -in-the-middle' can be seen and heard as the man in charge. FIFA, this is a lesson for you.


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great things you’ve always shared with us. Just keep writing this kind of posts.The time which was wasted in traveling for tuition now it can be used for studies.Thanks read more

    ReplyDelete