Saturday 27 December 2014

El Hondo

El Hondo on Saturday 27th December 2014.
A very cold start by our standards here in coastal Spain with the thermometer dipping down to 2 degrees and only reaching the high teens at mid-day. A cold light wind made it feel colder but with clear blue skies the sun was allowed to warm us - eventually.

To end my birding year I wanted to have good views of the Spotted Eagle (Águila Moteado) but my initial scanning of the trees only revealed a distant buzzard (Ratonero) - two of which were perched by the gate on the way in. Close by a lone Godwit (Aguja Colinegra) was feeding in the shallows. Chiffchaffs (Mosquitero Común/Ibérico? - now catalogue as different species) were flying all around with Cetti's (Ruiseñor Bastardo) calling.

I moved on, Reed Buntings (Esribano Palustre) fed in the reeds as usual. Kingfishers ( Martin Pescador) flew and so did a Little Bittern (Avetorillo Común).

The last thirty minutes proved to be the best. I scoped the Spotted, watched a white morph Booted Eagle (Águillilla Calzada) flying around over our heads. Three more flew around and then we had both a dark and white morph flying close to each other.

I paid little attention to water birds, but twenty five Grey Herons (Garza Real) flew in. Lapwings ((Avefria Europea) flying with a small number of Sanderling Correlimos Tridáctilo) and maybe two Golden Plovers (Chorlito Dorado Europea.

I have received more confirmation that Azul-winged Magpies (Rabilargo Ibérico) have been resident near to me for several years. I know where they should be so I will endeavor to see these striking birds.
That is it for now except to check on Floridian birds and sites!

No comments:

Post a Comment