Saturday 10 December 2022

I AM NOT A TWITCHER BUT THE GREY PHALAROPE COULD QUALIFY ME. LA MATA, ALICANTE, SPAIN

 I visited Lo Monte two days ago and spoke to an English birder who had seen and photographed the Grey Phalarope at La Mata. He said he had seen it in the water at some distance between the tower hide and the smaller hide to the right.


This morning I went to La Mata and scanned from the tower hide. Light was poor, water choppy and the wind fairly strong. Two Spanish birders joined me and informed me the Grey Phalarope - Falarapo Picogrueso was out there and so it was. Whether it is the same bird that was recorded at San Pedro no one can say, but does it matter? 


It was distant but scopeable. I was delighted to find it and see it. I know that my ID skills are limited but I have confirmation. My second ‘first’ of the year and that is pleasing.


Feeding on the shores were a good number of Dunlin - Correlimos Comun and close to the other hide were four Correlimos Menudo - Little Stint.


Worth another visit this winter. Happy and successful birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment