Saturday 24 December 2022

A WHIMBREL BEFORE CHRISTMAS - WHAT JOY

 It’s a regular occurrence on some mornings for some to walk along from Zenia Beach towards the south for a couple of miles and back A. It’s an amble for me searching the water and the shoreline rocks. There is not usually that much that pops up.


This morning fishing Cormorants - Cormorán Grande and I watched one having caught a fish, position it while ducking under with it and swallow head first. Black Redstarts - Colirrojo Tizon were around and then I got really lucky. It was feeding off the rocks and then I had to choose. It was not that easy in the low winter sun but a neat light median crown stripe was visible. Checking the books I still needed to be sure and then it flew calling as it went. It has got to be a Whimbrel - Zarapito Trinador and not the bigger Curlew - Zarapito Real. The call confirmed it. I watched it for over 20 minutes and with the closest views ever. Made my morning and Michelle saw it too.Merry Christmas to everyone.


No comments:

Post a Comment