Thursday 24 September 2020

Book Review. The Darkest Evening by Ann Cleeves

Title                       The Darkest Evening

Author                   Ann Cleeves


Published by         Macmillan 


There can come a time when an author brings out another book in a series and the reader can say ‘Do I want to read one more of Vera?’  The alluring feel of a book in one’s hand is always a good start and then I was into it straight away. Why did I doubt myself when the writing is so good. Stupid is what it is.


The way Ann Cleeves is able to use locations is a masterclass. For me it ranks up there with any of her characters. Of course, it has to be good, to be right there with Vera. This tough old goat has ‘stood the test of time’ and she is still going strong - just. The story is set in a relatively restricted country area and she uses the locale superbly. I could feel, even taste the farmland and the roughness of the land. Add into that a couple of farmhouses and a mansion. There's history here too, amongst the decay and hope. She writes so well about people, relationships with both successes and failings. You never know what she will serve up next.


Okay, it's not in the real world where Vera investigates, but I was there with her from beginning to end. That's what a good storyteller can do to the reader.


I have enjoyed all of Ann Cleeves’ books and this one has to be the best.


If you to know more about the story then read the blurb inside the front fly. I never reveal a plot and I prefer to take the story ‘cold’. 


I am compelled to make a comment about the ‘book Vera’ and the ‘on-screen Vera’. Brenda Blethyn does a great job. A terrific actor with some excellent traits exhibited, but for me I like the rough Vera. Even with her annoying habits. That's probably because I am a country boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment