Friday 11 July 2014

Pushing the Edges

PUSHING THE EDGES with Brenda Hillman.
This workshop appealed to me as soon as I saw it even though it was only two hours in duration. Conformity can be great but there are many times when it is good to do something that different, 'outside the norm', or even 'way out'. Brenda brought enough with her for many hours of study and which gave opportunity for serious thinking. (I think for all of us).
Her idea was that we all bring a poem that we have been working on recently in a form that we don't usually write in. I read 'Smithy Wood' which our writing group have scrutinised but is still a work in progress. I chose this one as it concerns both the environment and protest, and rhyme that is not something that I am ever that comfortable with. After this morning it may have to take on a different shape and form but I need to reflect more on all of it.

I made notes on the purpose of the morning and with things to reflect upon:-
Ecological and spiritual
Exploring form and diction
Step outside usual expectations
Leave that safe place
Spiritual life not reflected in poetry
Wild as you can be in your writing
Listen to the sounds - reflect the world
Go to the edge of sense and still make sense
Put sounds in there - John Clare and his Nightingale
Syntax in your writing is your own syntax
You do not have to be normal because you are not
Don't tidy it up - put fragments in
Chatter-box voices
What sounds good - let it be.

She gave us poems, to read and discuss, of John Clare, Barbara Guest, Robin Clarke, Robert Duncan, Gennadi Aygi and if that wasn't enough the crazy shaped 'I lash out against form' by Elizabeth Guthrie. This one was followed by 'Michaelmas' by Veronica Forrest-Thompson which did intrigue me with its mixture of old, middle and modern English which was read by a fellow work-shopper who could read the old stuff. All so interesting and fascinating.

In summary I found these two hours well spent, in good company, and with an excellent facilitator. Lots to ponder on.

No comments:

Post a Comment