Thursday 10 July 2014

Hereford & Gloucester Canal

THURSDAY 10th JULY.
This morning was how summer should be. An almost cloudless sky with only a hint of a breeze. On the patio I actually 'caught up with myself', as the saying goes. I was able to reflect on what had gone before and plan my next days. I only had intended to go to an open mic in Ledbury as the itinerary was having a quiet day! For the open mic I called into Seven Stars and left without even thinking of reading anything. It was lifeless. No bloody humour at all and then this really was a tale of two microphones that bemused the holders. They should have given up. I suppose the benefit was that some of it I could not hear! It was that bad even before we had three poems on suicides. Hmm. Murder was on my mind and so I left. The best part of that evening was the cup of tea and a 'ginger nut' when I got back. Enough said - bless them. After all it was a first as I have never walked out of an open mic.
The afternoon was taken up with exploring some remaining parts of the Herefordshire and Gloucester Canal, now owned by a trust of the same name with the ultimate object of re opening all 34 miles of it. They have 30 miles still to renovate. I was able to walk a part of the towpath from near Newent towards the Oxenhall Tunnel that goes under the M50. There was water in all of it on this stretch although the banks were covered with vegetation and in some places it had been over grown completely. This is such a good place for butterflies as the wild brambles, purple loosestrife and many others were in bloom. Jackdaws were congregating on a barb wire fence and being raucous. A slim Grey Heron flew away on my approach and fish swam in the shallows. A great stroll amongst the peaceful farmland.
My next stroll was planned for where the canal had been but was in the main filled in although the route through the orchards was obvious. I negotiated a very overgrown part before coming to the orchard. Apart from a walk there was very little to see so I turned about and enjoyed a pint and a meal in The Oak at Staplow. Another good day for me. I have already made notes as I intend to get as much writing material out of this week and the canal is very much in my mind. I already have a poem sketched out from two days ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment