Thursday 2 May 2013

Back to birding at home

After an evening stroll around Las Ramblas I was encouraged by very good sightings of Mistle Thrush, Long-tailed Tits and eventually a Nightjar flew close to us. I think that it was a male by its white markings but not a Rednecked one - that will be hopefully later on. Nightingales provided the music for the evening down in a rambla.

Today, I walked out from home and soon I saw a Woodchat Shrike fly to a perch. This enabled me to see it fully together with a Reed Warbler. Perched close by was a Bee eater.

I continued on looking for any snake that might be out and about now that the sun was hot. Barn and Red-rumped Swallows, were feeding low over the vegetation together with the occasional House Martin and all the time I could hear Bee-eaters flying and calling. Near the canal a Nightingale sang from a dense clump but I carried on to my favorite spot of last summer. This is where I watched other Nightingales, Reed and Melodious Warblers - but not today.

After the cold winds, rain and now warming sun the fields are a mass of color with insects buzzing around. There were numerous Large Whites flying together with the occasional male Clouded Yellow. I had a close view of a Painted Lady.
I have had more productive days but that will do for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment