Tuesday 17 January 2023

MORNING AT EL HONDO

It was a good morning for birding but that had to wait while BBC Breakfast allowed us to reminisce on their forty years with their anniversary. Memories shared and then we moved on towards El Hondo.


I think I can look at Snipe - Agachadiza Comun all day as the blacks and browns in their plumage are  striking. We were into double figures for this species and, as best we could, we looked for a Jack - Agachadiza Chica. 






Glossy Ibis - Morito Comun were around 50 fifty in number and only flew up when a low flying Marsh Harrier - Aguilucho Luganero went by. Two Bluethroat - Pechiazul showed really well close by and were the best views I have had in awhile. 




We also had two Ringed Plovers - Chorlitejo Grande who showed well. Tell me if I am wrong. A Robin - Petirrojo was there as usual.




Our first bird we think is a Green Sandpiper - Bastardo Grande and the photo when examined can tell me I am wrong or not. The other ‘piper’, Michelle and I have discussed, and your thoughts would be welcomed. The water levels have been reduced and some reeds have been cut down. 



Green Sandpiper?



Mystery Piper?


We had a quick look at Santa Aguada where there is water but hardly any margins and nothing on view. Our search for Common Cranes - Grulla Comun was unsuccessful. It was good to be out.


Now for Winter Watch tonight with the experts.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment