Thursday 25 November 2021

THE HYPOCRISY OF ALLOWING GROUSE SHOOTING AT BALMORAL

 This was the headline in the Scottish Times on Wednesday 24th November and ‘good on ‘em’ for publishing it. 


Royal family ‘hypercritical’ to have Grouse Shooting at Balmoral.


This is an extract from that paper.


The royal family have been described as hypocritical by a leading environmental campaigner for allowing grouse shooting on the Balmoral estate while extolling the virtues of conservation.

Nick Kempe said “mismanagement” of the Balmoral and Delnadamph estates was damaging the Cairngorms national park and hampering a rewilding project, supported by the tycoon Anders Holch Povlsen, whose Glenfeshie estate lies west of Balmoral.


I comment and understand why ‘hypercritical’ was the proper word to use. I have always been concerned how the ‘leadership’ of the monarchy influences and allows people to do what cannot be considered to be for the greater good of our beloved - and hurt - countryside. I know the articles I have quoted relate to Scotland but it applies equally to the rest of the United Kingdom.


The following is an extract from the speech Her Majesty delivered to COP 26. I quote in the next lines.


“It is a source of great pride to me that the leading role my husband played in encouraging people to protect our fragile planet, lives on through the work of our eldest son Charles and his eldest son William. I could not be more proud of them.

Indeed, I have drawn great comfort and inspiration from the relentless enthusiasm of people of all ages – especially the young – in calling for everyone to play their part.”


It might sound a bit like treason but what examples are being shown by members of the monarchy except for supporting the wanton killing of ‘game birds’ shot in the name of sport. I recall a scene in The Crown where King Edward was being handed shotgun after shotgun to blast away at wildfowl. What irks me as much are those that serve the monarchy, be subservient too it and kow-tow to their every need. Attitudes much change.


I urge people to follow Raptor Persecution UK and also to follow 

Nick Kempe’s blog at ParkWatchScotland

No comments:

Post a Comment