Saturday 23 October 2021

GREG BUCHANAN’S BRILLIANT READ - SIXTEEN HORSES

 Book Review


Title.                 Sixteen Horses


Author.              Greg Buchanan


Published by.    Mantle


Greg Buchanan was one of four panelists of Val McDermid’s young bloods at Theakstons Old Peculier Crime Writing Awards in Harrogate last July. What a title I thought! One that could create tension and even persuade a faint hearted reader not even to touch the book. We did and a signed copy is on my desk as I write. 


My first thoughts after reading this story was strange, brilliant, disturbing and so good. That is not to say that everyone agrees. It was talked of on BBC Two’s programme, ‘Between the Covers’ and that show did not do the book or Greg any favours! The fact that Val McDermid thought more than enough of it to put it and the author on the stage in Harrogate was a decider for me. I like different.


There is a hint on the front cover when added to the title that suggests something unpleasant is within its covers and so I quote ‘This was a crime like no other’. Val McDermid’s comment may also give a potential reader some troublesome thoughts when she says ‘Unlike anything else you’ll read this year…..a deeply disconcerting ride. Irresistible’ and I cannot disagree. 


I never give much credence to what’s on the inside of the fly but I will quote from it as it sums up what I would say. 


‘Sixteen Horses is the debut of a stunning new talent - a haunting novel of enduring guilt, trauma and punishment, set in a small seaside community the rest of the world has left behind…..’


Well, what the hell is it about? Horses? Yes and people who have their problems. The coastal setting was depressing enough for me and add the extra ingredient of a community in the throes of death, that in my mind, sums it up. But it is beautifully done and location being a significant player just adds to the angst! 


I enjoyed it in a strange way because it is ‘haunting’. The book is set out with two opening chapters which can be said to be a prologue and then Part One follows. There are breaks within chapters and some chapters are short. I liked the way it was laid out.


If you question why you won’t consider reading it then examine the author’s profile and maybe think his talent and writing is worth the risk. Having reflected during this review and because this is a complex book I will read it again because it is good enough for me to do that. Go on give it a go. it’s different, alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment