Sunday 20 June 2021

BOOK REVIEW, THE MAN ON THE STREET BY TREVOR WOOD

Title.                   The Man On The Street


Author.                Trevor Wood


Published by.      Quercus





The Man On The Street is in the final six of Theakston Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award. We hope to be in Harrogate next month and I would like him win it as he dares to talk about the seriousness of the homeless, violence and public attitudes. 


I knew not a thing about this author or what it could be about except that it is crime novel. I prefer it that way as I do not want to be influenced by others. The locations are in Newcastle.


The Man On The Street is a good enough clue as to the setting. For me, it was at pavement level and you need to be in a good frame of mind not to become depressed. That did not stop me reading as his characters Jimmy, Gadge and Deano are ‘as-rough-as-rats’, have been hard done-by and I grew to love them. They were not the only characters to impress either. Carrie was brilliantly portrayed and her involvement and interactions with some of the others was superb.


It is about a missing man. A ‘Misper’ in Police terms and the conundrum of what is possible for them to do. The story takes off from there and Carrie whose father is no where to be seen has a hard slog to convince the police he has not taken himself off! I know the dilemma for I have been there.


As in most books written recently the author creates many strands, almost like ‘add-ons’, that help to give it all a fillip. I liked that. Now if you are up for ‘bashing the police’ I can see a need for you to read it. Their treatment of how to treat the homeless and their behaviour in general could make some people squirm in their comfy chairs. I know how violent it can be out on the streets and the actions are brilliantly portrayed by Trevor Wood. 


It is far from the story of a man going missing. There is so much in there with even an unspeakable crime included. So, read it, and enjoy for it is entertaining too.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment