Wednesday 23 June 2021

BOOK REVIEW. THE LANTERN MEN BY ELLY GRIFFITHS

Book Review.               The Lantern Men

Author.                          Elly Griffiths

Published by.                Quercus





I have read several of her books before with locations as diverse as Norfolk and Brighton and I enjoyed them, but not this one. 


The Lantern Men set in Norfolk is the 12th in the series of ‘a Dr Ruth Galloway Mystery’. It is short listed, one of six, for Theakston Old Peculier Crime Writing Novel of the year Award and to get there it had to be voted for by the public. So, some would have seen more in it than I have.


I gave it a good go and read over 100 pages until the end of chapter 12. By that time I had become interested in the criminal elements and Dr Ruth Galloway’s expertise as an archeologist but I had become overwhelmed by the continuing details of domesticity, past relationships, the current ones and what was happening between who. I got to the point of not caring! Is this another author who has to produce another book for the publishers? Well, maybe, and it won’t be the first novel that falls short of preceding stories with the same characters. 


I hope that it would have got much better and if it did then I will have to forgo it. There are many books out there and the competition is fierce. I will be reluctant to read another one by Elly Griffiths in this series. I will only add that my refusal to finish reading it is not to her detriment as a writer.


No comments:

Post a Comment