Friday 3 July 2020

NOTHING IMPORTANT HAPPENED TODAY BY WILL CARVER

Book Review

Title. Nothing Important Happened Today

Author. Will Carver

Publisher. Orenda Books 

Odd. Unusual. Very different to anything I have read before, but I like different. Written in third person collective and in first person.

Interested? The front cover is difficult to describe and unusual too. But that is what this book is about. The cover almost shouts out “ Nine suicides. One Cult. No leader.” Well that's a good start and gives something for the potential reader to ponder on.

It's wasn't an easy read and I dipped in and out of it as I read another crime novel. The short chapters meant switching from one scenario and person to the next. Carver’s characters gripped and absorbed me although on many occasions I wondered where the object of this book was taking me.

Chapter one tells you enough to make you read on or put it back on the shelf. I kept at it and I am pleased that I did. It unravels slowly, deliberately so, and concisely. There are lies and in the end the whole identity of the book is concluded. I loved it all and the ending too.

Not a normal read. Different. If you have a tendency to consider joining a cult or to obliterate the masses then this could be considered a ‘hand-book’ or a ‘turn-off’ to contemplate the end.






No comments:

Post a Comment