Tuesday 14 July 2020

BOOK REVIEW - WORST CASE SCENARION BY HELEN FITZGERALD

Book Review

Title Worst Case Scenario

Author. Helen Fitzgerald

Publisher Orenda Books

Quote from the book

“To criminal-justice social workers who do the hardest job and have the best chat”

The author must have been on drugs to write this. Legal ones maybe and I make no excuse for offering up the idea that Helen Fitzgerald had to be hallucinating too.

I like different and this is the third one on the bounce that is extra odd. I was warned, “you won't like it as it's about a menopausal probation officer!’ Hell, I thought, bloody hell the advice could be correct. I dipped in and out of this supposed horror story while I tried to keep my sanity by reading another book alternately with this one. as well. I struggled to get to Page 40 and for some inexplicable reason I read a few pages more. Then I wanted to know how mad, bad Mary really wanted to be. Or was the story being ‘over-egged’ and the humour was beginning to attack me as well as her unfortunate family and ‘clients’. Or, maybe, it's a brilliant book.

Be warned it is explicit and more than suggests what such a woman could do on her own!

I read on and having got to two thirds I wondered how much more I could take! It all moves at a furious pace and one is never left to dwell on what has just happened. I kept my laughter and disgust at a minimum as I felt I had to control my thoughts in beginning continually confronted by a sweaty and very ill-at-ease professional person! Anyway, I did get to the end and I am still reflecting on the ending. Was it all real, imagined or did I get it all wrong.

Accolades are plastered all over the cover, back and front and, at a glance, you can read them easily.

Worst Case Scenario survived the Theakestons Old Peculier Crime Award long list and was catapulted into the final six. It’s a crazy read and it has a great chance of winning or will convention rule?

John Edwards 13th July 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment