Thursday 30 January 2020

C J TUDOR & THE TAKING OF ANNIE THORNE

GENRE. MYSTERY, THRILLER, SUSPENSE, PSYCHOLOGICAL THRILLER
Or CRIME (in general, but with a twist)

AUTHOR. C J TUDOR

TITLE. THE TAKING OF ANNIE THORNE

ISBN 978-0-718-18745-3

C J TUDOR’s SECOND BOOK ‘THE TAKING OF ANNIE THORNE’

THIS IS NOT A COSY, HAPPY-PLACE BOOK. IT IS TOLD WITH GREAT IMAGINATION INCORPORATING SOMETHING UNUSUAL

After reading her stories and especially after ‘The Taking of Annie Thorne’ I commented to myself that this author had a seriously traumatic childhood and that her school life must have been hell!
I could be wrong and it is all down to an ultra imaginative mind.

J Tudor’s debut novel, ‘The Chalk Man’, and her second ‘The Taking of Annie Thorne’ should send you storming out of your comfort zones. Five pages in The Prologue introduces the reader to a crime scene. Explicit and with some thought given to feelings of officers investigating. I was hooked when I read the clear message written at the termination of it.

We both struggled a bit with the first six chapters. The thought that questions ‘shall I carry on?’ It was depressing reading and I wondered what sort of world we were being coaxed into. It's set within a school background and everything is detailed and explained in depth. Joe Thorne returns to a place that he once knew. He has not been in a happy place either! Some would say ‘it is never good to go back’ and whether that is true or not gives us an excellent story. No clichés are allowed except, ‘I did not want to put the book down’ and I wanted to know how it was to end. A warning thought; there is a need to concentrate as there are more turns in the story than a mountain road.

It gripped me and I intend to re-read ‘The Chalk Man’ as I enjoyed this second book so much. Her latest ‘The Other People’ has just been published. More to read then!

No comments:

Post a Comment