Saturday 4 January 2020

BOOKS & BOOKS & READERS

BOOKS AND THE CHOICE THERE IS - BECAUSE YOU START ONE IT DOES NOT MEAN IT HAS TO BE FINISHED

In the last few months I have started several books and I could not get on with them. I would read a chapter and not feel encouraged at all. I would pick it up again and the same, so I put it down.
One was by Kate Moss, who I have read before and enjoyed the history of it and when I obtained Burning Chambers I thought that I could easily ‘get stuck into it’. I was wrong. It is still there waiting to be read and I will give it another go.

A friend brought in a present, a book, by Stephen King and Owen King, Sleeping Beauties. Okay, apparently it is a number one best seller. The Daily Mail comment is ‘Immersively believable…..brilliantly drawn characters’ and it is thick enough to stop maybe a bullet or a sharp knife! Would 713 pages be enough to defend one self with?

I looked and examined the first few pages and found three pages of lists of characters. Bloody hell what is this a memory test? And the print is small. Only to be read in good light without any alcohol too! I know Stephen King’s reputation is huge and any of his fans reading this would probably want to encase me alive in concrete, but why does it have to be that complicated? No it doesn't. You have to believe me I have tried and after several attempts I managed to read twenty five pages. Then I thought no, I would rather tread in dog shit! There's much more to life than struggling with it.

On a more positive note I am looking forward to reading the third in the trilogy by Hilary Mantel. I can hear people exclaiming, if you can read Wolf Hall and Bring up the Bodies then you can surely read Stephen King? I admit the way Wolf Hall was written it did take some getting used to, but I read both and I intend to read both again before March when ‘The Mirror and The Light’ is published.

But not all is ‘doom and gloom’ for I finished Westwind by Ian Rankin, last night, and that is a different read to any that I have read recently.

No comments:

Post a Comment