Tuesday 3 December 2019

A DAY TO REMEMBER - ANOTHER ANNIVERSARY


I always sit on the bench with my back to Ledbury Church wall and look over the Garden of Remembrance where my mother's ashes lie.  It is always a sad moment when I arrive. I talk and try to imagine her answers.  

LEDBURY CHURCHYARD
GARDEN OF REMEMBRANCE
MONDAY 30th SEPTEMBER 2013
10 am to 11am
 
I can hear you, still see you
a faltering image now as
a leaf flutters down
its job done to
rest with a worn feather
on an everlasting green cloth.

a youngish oak leans towards
the west over rose bushes
and recycled headstones
 
silver birches glance the light
as the turn of the season
is announced
 
an unkempt back edge
provides charity for the wild
a coat for the unseen
 
quists coo, blackbirds call
they usually do.  Others fly
over roofs and away
 
I am static as passers-by
say their 'good mornings' while
a church organ permeates
 
my thoughts.  I listen, wait, watch
n the now. Memories flit in
and away at random
 
in front the continuing grass
sits and waits for tomorrow
in an everlasting afterwards

in a tiny space a box
in decay and concealment
hides a history of a life

sounds, birdsong, peripheral traffic
provide the music she will not hear
a tear spent well.
a bell that strikes the hour
time to go

No comments:

Post a Comment