Sunday 15 December 2019

A CRIME NOVEL, THE LONG CALL BY ANN CLEEVES

THE LONG CALL BY ANN CLEEVES

I have been a fan of Ann Cleeves for a long time. I have enjoyed her crime novels set in Northumberland with her creation of the interesting persona of Vera. I loved her as described in her stories, but the nation will probably only visualise the one portrayed by Brenda Blethyn. Whatever, I enjoyed both images. I can add to that, her Shetland series, where we were able to follow the very special character of Jimmy Perez. Again introducing people who are both good and very bad. Inserting them, mostly in our minds, from the power of her writing and in the locations she has set them in.

She was born in my home county of Herefordshire, but brought up in Devon. So, in a way she has returned ‘home’, and with her past she can understand the locations she has known and to include them in her work. She has moved south to beautiful North Devon where she chose to set this crime fiction novel in and, of course, it has to be near the sea. That, as well as the coast, performs as strong characters which are told to us in this tale. Mathew Venn is her chosen man and investigator to sort out this tale of death and power. This book is ‘littered’ with characters - all carefully chosen, of course by Ann. Never mind the story or the events it is the characters and this coastal location that grabbed me and immersed me in it. Of course the story is important and this accomplished author tells it well. I will never reveal a plot, but very often some can be seen on the front cover.for after all the publishers have to give an indication of what the book contains. The blurb on the back I avoid as I want to let the story come to me as I read it.

I did wonder if I could get back into another book by having read her previous work. I did and I enjoyed it. The question is will she write another one and will this be the start of another series? Would I recommend it? Of course, I enjoyed another creation and a new person on which she can hang her stories. I hope there is another one of Matthew Venn’s exploits to enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment