Monday 8 April 2019

COMMENT FOR LPF's POST

I certainly got your point John and I agree there should be an intelligent detailed response to your query. It is remiss of them not to respond. I still hold my view that male writers still have a way to go in their struggle to fight so hard for recognition as women have.

Having said that. The reasons for writing ‘gender less’ these days is that if you change your style in the hope that you will appeal to female or male readers, authors often conceal their gender. ie. JK Rowling and I believe male authors too, however the media pay no attention to male authors appealing to female readers if they wish to capture other readers. It seems they are not so newsworthy, or shown to be deceitful whatever your take is.

It all began with the Brontes and George Eliot, but I think we were led to believe that they might not be successful or serious writers if they were women, I am not sure this is true. I am sure that some female (or indeed in these modern days some male authors) have done their final dissertation on the subject. I wonder if any poetry or literary festival has asked for some fresh modern person’s take on the subject, as we go over and over the same ground. Perhaps that’s what literary and poetry festivals lack, is a fresh look.

What do you all think? Are we getting staid? I sometimes want to know what judges are looking for and why they choose the poems they do, and what they consider to be new forms. Is it just content, or is it poetic value, or as you suggest, someone who has attended the judges workshop.

I might sneak in on a poetry seminar at the University. Shall I try?

I quite like the debate rather than go over old ground again and again. I don’t want to change opinion but grow into new ideas.

Margaret Rowland.

No comments:

Post a Comment