Saturday 8 September 2018

THE SEVEN DEATHS OF EVELYN HARDCASTLE BY STUART TURTON

THE SEVEN DEATHS OF EVELYN HARDCASTLE

I looked upon this book as a challenge because I had been told that it was different. It certainly was and I have no regrets. Why read books of the same ilk, all the time, anyway? I don't read any of the blurb before I scan a few pages and I make my initial judgement after only scanning a few pages and, in this case, that was enough.


Stuart Turton was one of The New Blood event hosted by Val McDermid at Harrogate in July. For some reason I remembered little about the chat but the image of the front cover of the book stuck.

The Seven Deaths of Evelyn Hardcastle is an odd title, one is allowed to think, and the black base of the cover with gold lines and red squares encourages it to be picked up. There is a force at work that coerces me to read it!


Back to the book, where the events of each day, shuttle back and forth. Characters swap days, and even bodies! Attention to detail is necessary, but some chapters are short and things happen at speed. I did not always know exactly what was going on, but I stayed with it and then you feel as you belong inside this story.

The story is set in a dilapidated mausoleum of a country house with a history, where the building and grounds are so much a major part. It is the foreboding character within. And here's the nub of the story. Who did what to whom on that day 19 years ago?

The writing is brilliant, and Turton is a wordsmith to remember. I would like to read more of his work. He avoids religion, almost any sex, and in some scenes detail, and this allows the reader to speculate and surmise. All the violence is necessary, varied and not overdone. The narrators have developed the knack of causing injury with ease!

Over half way in the story a character says “my night in the cupboard wrapped my bones in brambles” and a little later there is a line “ if this isn't hell, the devil is surely taking notes”. If you don't like these two samples then go and read The Sun!

At one stage and getting to the end of 505 pages, I wanted a more rapid end. Impatience should never be rewarded and the final chapters were able to reveal most of the mysteries. A strange book, a change for the way that a story is able to be told, and believe me, it is so different. But, I enjoyed it.

Should this review carry a recommendation? Well you can accept challenge or not, but if you don't you will never know the detail. Just give it a go.

In small letters, on the front cover, as though to keep her comments to the more observant Sophie Hannah says: ‘This book blew my mind. Utterly original and unique’.

No comments:

Post a Comment