Monday 24 September 2018

ANN CLEAVES - WILD FIRE

EWILD FIRE BY ANN CLEEVES
The last of The Shetland Series is now on the book shelves and I have a hardback copy. Wild Fire by Ann Cleeves will be the last case that Jimmy Perez investigates here and the question is ‘what is going to happen to him’?

It is what I expected after reading only a few chapters, but that was enough to convince me that the writing, the skill in the story telling and the characters make it an essential book to read. It's like meeting an old friend and having a chat over a pint. I felt at home with it and anxious about what will happen.

Characters are her strong point as she brings them off the pages with their deep inner thoughts and anxieties. So many people with problems! But where and how will it all end because, after all, it is the last book? And what will Jimmy Perez do now? And, indeed, what will happen to Willow?

It takes a while for it to unravel and even then all the likely culprits are still on the scene. There are ‘obvious’ options as to who killed whom and why. But will you guess correctly? There are sad people who have let opportunity go by and that is one trail that runs throughout. I could give more clues here, but I won't for I am not a plot spoiler. Sandy is the most relaxed that I have been able to visualize and where does his future lie? But if you want all the ends to be neat and tidy then you should have expected less! I enjoyed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment