Saturday 9 May 2015

Saturday 9th May - El Hondon

Another visit to EL Hondon through the North Gate. There was a blue sky with only a very light breeze and surprisingly very few Mosquitos. As I drove down Great Reed Warblers were calling clearly. I knew that the small hide would already be occupied and so I spent some time on the boardwalk situated just before the hide. I had good views over the near edge of the lagoon. There was nothing exceptional, but I had clear views of Glossy Ibis and a Fantailed Warbler/Zitting Cisticola (Buitron) perched nearby. Cuckoos (Cuco Común) were calling and I had several sightings of them in flight.

I moved on and eventually spent some time in the larger hide at the far end of vehicular access. There was very little on the water except Pochard (Porrón Europea) and one White-headed Duck (Malvasia Cabeciblanca). I had terrific views of a Purple Heron (Garza Imperiel) and a male Little Bittern (Evetorillo Común) flew showing off the bronze and black plumage. In fact this species were active for most of the morning. The same can be said of Squacco Herons (Garcilla Cangrejera) and one flew in, stayed close enough to allow me to see the plumage easily including the blue around the base of the beak. Simply beautiful. From the hide I had good views of calling Great Reed Warblers (Carricero Tordal). There was also Reed Warblers (Carricero Común) calling and a Nightingale (Ruiseñor Común) singing but not viewed. Moustached Warblers (Carricerin Real) seemed less active, but nevertheless they were heard. I will pay them some more attention next week.

Disappointingly I did not see Montague's Harriers (Aguilucho Cenizo) this morning even though they are at La Mata.

I noticed that the water level had dropped and I also understand that the new lagoons around the Visitor Centre had lost much of their water. That is a pity.

No comments:

Post a Comment