Saturday 2 May 2015

El Hondon Natural Park

On Saturday 2nd May we visited El Hondon via the north gate. Dennis already had 127 bird species on his list for this week. We knew that it would be difficult to add many more, but we did. At the end of his last birding day here in Spain his all time 'lifer' list has been increased by 18 and his Spanish list has been enhanced by 30. His total since Monday morning is now 130. That is an achievement and it is also one for me as I was with for almost all of them. Grateful thanks must go to Bryan Thomas birder, photographer and great companion for all his expertise. Above all we had fun.

It was a beautiful blue sky morning with very little activity from the Mosquitos and much more activity from the birds. We had close up views of Fantailed Warbler, Reed Warbler with Great Reed Warblers calling from it seems everywhere. Moustached Warblers did show, but they were as flighty as usual. Dennis remarked that could hear a Baillion's Crake in a location where I had been told they had been seen. Something to look for next time. There were many of the water birds on show, but nothing more than I would have expected. Whiskered Terns were terrific to watch with no sign, that I could see, of a Black Tern. Again we had good close views of the Common Cuckoo when two flew up, perched and flew away. Only a few days ago there were two Greater Spotted Cuckoos on the wire by the north gate.

Dennis located a male and a female Whinchat and we had good views of them - my first sighting of this species for some time.

On the way home we again went via La Mata and this time we saw two female and three male Montague's flying over the reeds at the same time with another female flying a short distance away. A good total, I think.

My first snake of the summer was lying on the track as we started to leave. It was black, relatively thin and about two feet long. I stopped in time, but it slithered away before the photographer could get his shot in - what a shame!

I had looked forward to this week and it has excelled. I have been in some very good company as both Dennis and Bryan have significant knowledge of birds and their identification skills aided me greatly. Their sharp eyes and attention produced good results. I am very grateful to have spent the time with them and seen so many species. In a week my personal list has grown by two, with me seeing a Temminck's Stint and two Wood Larks. In our hire vehicle we travelled just over 1000 kilometres, but upon examining what we saw it was very worthwhile.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to doing it all again next year John, hopefully in Extremadura with yourself and Bryan.

    ReplyDelete