Saturday 10 January 2015

THE RACING DAYS

Wednesday 7th January this was the day that the racing implications kicked in. We all went to ESPN Wide World of sport to collect our racing packages, bibs with our race number and our name. The merchandise was viewed and all essential items bought.

For those who have entered all four races they should give a self congratulatory hug for even considering to run these races. In American terms the challenge is awesome. This is not to be underestimated.

Thursday 8th January. We arose at 3.15am and we were at Epcot in ample time for the initial batch of runners to cross the start line at 6.16. Tutus were adjusted and tightened around our waists. All of which had been created in green and purple by Michelle. We ran in style in Dopey's colours. Each corral of runners waited 8 minutes before they could follow and cross the start line. The temperature was a measly 43 degrees F with a wind chill factor reducing this down. It was cold and we waited in it for only one and half hours. We were all concerned about finishing within the minimum time, but there was no need to be concerned as there were children 'in arms', youngsters of a variety of ages together with the more mature and rotund entrants. This was a fun 'run' or even a walk for some. I ran and walked for the first two miles as I wanted to ensure that I could finish. There was no need for any anxiety. We sprinted across the finishing line together with Tony claiming that he edged it my a nipple. It was an experience and the regret that I have is that I can no longer run as my knees are older than I want them to be. I can console myself that I have run the London Marathon. The challenge for tomorrow is that Julia, Michelle and Howard complete the 10k without any injury or damage.

No comments:

Post a Comment