Sunday 4 January 2015

Azure-winged Magpies

In December I searched a local area for Azure-winged Magpies without success. I had never realised that they were in the coastal area as I had always seen them in Sierra de Segura in the vicinity of Pontones and Hornos or even further south in Andalucia. They have been photographed previously and very recently a few miles north of where I had been looking. I know that they have been where I had looked. They are birds that congregate in family groups and are not difficult to see - normally! The exercise in itself was good as it familiarized me with an area that I had never paid any attention to before and I now know that with the very mixed habitat it could be a good location to visit regularly. I am also told that Siskins flock there.
I did see a Darford Warbler, Serin were feeding on low bushes, Collared Doves and Starlings were there in numbers with Chiffchaff feeding in the Eucalyptus trees. Flying over the reeds on the edge of the salinas I saw a dark morph Booted Eagle fly just over head.
The quest for the Magpies and Eagles are of importance because there is a Scottish birder who wishes to add to his lifetime list. It is a good challenge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment