Tuesday 26 September 2023

RED CAMPIONS RAISE THEIR HEADS OVER A PLETHORA OF GROWTH


We had a brilliant showing of Red Campions underscored by a mass of green leaves of which only some species I could identify. Common Dock was an easy one to spot and on the edges Marsh Cudweed. 


There was also fresh shoots of Blackthorn which I will remove. The plan for this area could be to encourage what is there and add two fruit trees. In late winter the Blackthorn that had dominated was cleared as far as possible. It is an invasive bush where roots spread and new growth pops up. It is useful as a field boundary and will be allowed to do so. It flowers early and the mass of white is an harbinger of spring.
 
One of the things that I was aware of was not to destroy or damage habitats although the clearance of thick bushy growth was ruthless! But it doing so it allowed the sunlight to encourage other species. I will leave some bushes where they occur so that there is a mixture of vegetation throughout the platt. 

During March I took cuttings and put them into the recently topped hedgerow with others s that were present. We will only know what has survived next spring. 

I lifted the following from heartofenglandforest.org and that reinforces my thinking that I should always be aware of when and why we humans interfere with the natural world. Nectar and pollen source: 

¨Blackthorn’s early flowering means a welcome source of nectar and pollen for bees in the early spring. Its foliage is a food plant for the caterpillars of many moths, including the lackey, magpie, common emerald, swallow-tailed and yellow-tailed moths. They are also popular with rare black hairstreak and brown hairstreak butterflies – in case you missed it last time, the search is on for the eggs of the latter in parts of the Heart of England Forest." 

One thing I am intent on doing is to ensure there is a supply of nectar and pollen. I am working on it. My focus will be on the plants to do the job. I asked Cornwall Wildlife Trust for their thoughts,

No comments:

Post a Comment