Tuesday 10 August 2021

FEUDALITY, AND MYTH TO HERITAGE

 My profile shows that I was born into feudality and austerity. That was what 1945 rural Herefordshire was like. It wasn’t all bad and I was a lucky one to be there with all the freedom, love and good food. I am sure that now I would rebel against some of the things that I witnessed as a child. Issues are complex and different views have to be assimilated in discussion and not argument. The lines below are a journey from heritage to myth. The soon coming day of slaughter and the Royal summer visit to Balmoral has prompted me to put this poem out there.



HERITAGE

there’s a myth

strolling around

in soft suede shoes

a methodical incessant rhythm

of ongoing sound 

images too                 

images that resonate and resonate

turn the pages

we should

but we don’t 

we can’t 

it’s the drip feed found

with continuity

with familiarity


it’s the tradition that’s

etched into the mind

that subdues

that has subjugated

for centuries

so here we are

still paying our dues

still tugging the forelock

(or should it be fetlock!)

and opening doors

but not our door

as submit we have 

continuously done

as the distance for you

between being able 

to put food on the table

and wealth of a few

dictate to the many 

the you

that really matter


John Edwards (C) 

19th March 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment