Thursday 19 March 2020

SPAIN BY DECREE IS IN LOCK-DOWN


WRITING DURING THE LOCK-DOWN
We live in San Miguel de Salinas just inland from TORREVIEJA and about 45 minutes driving time south of Alicante Airport. Due to eye surgery and now a Government Decree this is my third week of enforced confinement. The good news is that I am able to use the IPad and write whatever I like. Our writing group, San Miguel Writers (including the rump of Stanza Mar Menor) have developed a penchant for haiku. The beauty of this form is it is quick, short and can record an event in only a few lines. San Miguel has introduced a daily minute of applause at 8pm signaled by (they love their pyrotechnics) a rocket. The clapping comes from the area of the Town Hall and easily heard from our house. I clap and I am the only one is sight doing it. I find it up-lifting. The first event was on Wednesday 18th and this is my take on it.


Hand Clap Sounds Around San Miguel

It was for tonight
in our town at eight o'clock
the applause defies

Yesterday I wrote this

An eight o'clock boom
Open the door, hear applause
We are one again

Who knows when the epidemic will have run for, but for everyone's sanity some social interaction is vital. Sadly here, no one is allowed to run, even on their on, and walking is restricted to what is essential.

My blog is about birding too and that is non-existent now and so it is what I can write. Bryan Thomas on his site, birding costa blanca- see top right of my screen-has commented. We are
all missing this migration.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete