Tuesday 2 July 2019

San Pedro del PinItar

The Salinas at San Pedro del Pinatar has held a Roseate Tern for a while.  I've seen them at Coquet Island off the Northumberland coast while moving up and down on the swell from the boat. I decided to take a look.

For many years now I have not been enthused by any visit to San Pedro and this morning was no exception.  I had to work hard to find any wader and the first were two Kentish Plovers.  A few Avocet also showed.  There were a good number of Flamingos feeding and a pair of Shelduck with a brood were next to the reedbed.  There was not much around at all and the four Little Terns brightened my day up just a tad.

The experts have decided to separate Spotted Flycatchers into a Mediterranean one and the other as we have always known them.  They are my bird of summer.


Bryan Thomas on his blog has written knowledgeably, with clear photographs, of the two species, and the differences can be viewed.  It is on his blog at birdingcostablanca.blogspot.com. Enjoy the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment