Thursday 7 February 2019

BOX OFFICE STARS ERASED

It won't leave me alone this interview of Liam Neeson. It’s the third consecutive day for an article in The Times.

‘Hacked-off’ and ‘Pissed-off’ with freedom, that's what I am. All because of some people who have to object. That's ‘freedom’, of course, the right to express an objection. But I am homing in on my ‘freedom’ to shout out loud “I don't like what is going on” because I don't see why the majority have to be controlled by a minority. Alright, rant over, but I am serious.

There are stories circulating that are stoked up by media sources, but nevertheless will contain the truths of hardships and injustices. We hear them because we are free to. Prejudice and abuse are full of hurt and there is plenty of it around. I now come to the point of my rant and the question is a simple one. Where does a rational objection to some incident or a collection of words from a small number of objectors become the template for restriction of the freedom of others.

Fine words are just those until they sit-side-by-side with what is happening out there. Yes, I am back to Liam Neeson again as he has created a ‘real storm’. For me it is not what he actually said, although I did not like it. Are we going to judge him on his own reality of 40 years ago and ‘kick him into touch’ for feeling that way? And don’t forget he reacted to the rape of a friend. That's a very emotive and an awful event isn't it? How would you react?

It seems to me with any perceived wrongdoing, any allegation however weak or strong or even a suggestion can be turned into a threat.

Splash News reports: ‘there have been calls to cut (Liam Neeson) his role in Men in Black: International’ I comment: Let's erase him from our gaze as in the case of Kevin Spacey. But why because a small number want it? I am supporting neither criminal or abusive behavior, but I am standing up for my own right not to be controlled by over reaction and downright prejudice. Yes, that's right, prejudice for I hate it!

Liam Neeson told a story that was very personal to him relating to an event 40 years ago. Are any of us the same person we were then. Speaking for myself I don't suppose that I am, but it is subjective. There have been people who have been sympathetic to his situation, but it seems ‘erasure’ could be the result.

The band Queen, fronted by Freddie Mercury, were brilliant and the recent film was terrific. Should I not be allowed to to watch, listen to this band because Freddie Mercury took drugs and is purported to have had other than a ‘normal’ sex life? That's nonsense. Whatever is decided you will not erase him from my memory. And now, Bryan Singer, who was involved as a director, of that film, stands accused and, in consequence, it has been withdrawn for a nomination for a Bafta award. There could be justification for it and I hope however subjective the decision was, I can only hope that it has been a fair process.

The Pledge is on Sky TV. It is always lively and I heard only part of their discussion on Mr Neeson, but they were divided and a poll, suggested by them showed 44 percent thought he was right and 30 did not. One of the panel thought that he was an idiot for saying it. I think that it is better for being out there.

Finally, in a poem by ee cummings there is a line that says:
‘freedom is a drug that is bought and sold’. I may have taken it right out of context, but it it's worth a thought or two, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment