Wednesday 25 July 2018

MACBETH IN STRATFORD WITH THE RSC

Lunch time we walked into The One Elm and unearthed a gem of an English Pub. It was a short distance from the touristy areas that all seem to have a direct reference to William Shakespeare. It was good to be away from all those ‘tourists’ and not be assailed by bargains.

A pint of ‘Olde Tripp’ from a Nottingham brewer that used the name from a Crusader event of long ago. I tasted history in this pint too! Sitting in a comfortable place we spoke of ‘Macbeth’, the play that is, and how we felt about the performance. Michelle enjoyed it as she was of the opinion that it was the best so far. After all she had studied it and so she should know!

I had to let it fall in around me. I struggled with the first two thirds, and after the interval I felt better about it. The element of time was referenced in the dialogue and overhead there was a large digital display showing the time going away, second by second. I found it disconcerting. However, putting this irritation to one side, retrospectively I enjoyed it more than I had thought for.

So, here are my thoughts. I had some knowledge and the program reminded me of the salient bits. It can be useful to know something about any of his plays. The three witches were played by children. They were a good idea and proved to be excellent scene shifters too. We were presented with Duncan in bed, the three witches sat cross legged on each stage corner and the ‘porter’, God bless him, sat and watched. I expected a bloody bedroom scene, but his assassination was curtained out of sight. It was only the killers hands that were stained red.

The presentation was less visual and more audio and the dialogue required to be listened too. Some was not easily heard and Alan struggled and so did I it at times too. We discussed this afterwards and with today's technology and actors ability to project we decided that this should not have been a problem to anyone. But it was.

Christopher Ecclestone played Macbeth and Niamh Cusack played Lady Macbeth with a numerous supporting caste. Who the hell am I to criticize, but I did struggle with the telling of it. I have to applaud all of them because it was, in my mind, a good performance although I knew that it has had mixed reviews. Well, you can't please every one all the time!

Afterwards we quickly entered the The White Swan, (aka The Mucky Duck) and being almost first in the bar we supped our drinks and waited. Of course, this is the nearest pub to the dressing rooms and in they walked. Ecclestone smiled at Michelle and since we had seen Romeo & Juliet on the silver screen in Harrogate Michelle recognized, Sakuntala Ramanee, who played Lady Montague. She was lovely and was wonderful to talk to. We chatted and because we mentioned the ‘porter’ she told us that he was the Capulet father that disowned Juliet. She went and got him and we discussed with Michael Hodgson both his role tonight and his part in Romeo and Juliet. Him being a ‘Boro’ man he spoke easily about his upbringing to MaryAnn and Alan who have lived in that area. This rounded off our evening in the best possible way. Just like the crime writers the luvvies like to chat. Great stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment