Saturday 14 January 2017

El Hondo National Park

My first local birding trip for about month saw me enter through the North Gate at El Hondo (or Fondo) on another Saturday morning with the temperature at 8 degrees, but with a full moon still showing and full sunshine. The breeze was intermittent and chilly.

I first went to the farthest water and despite the glare from the sun I had clear vision of an Osprey perched on a post. On the water were Common Pochard and Shovelers and nothing of any distinction. In fact it was very quiet with not that many bird calls. I did not hear one Water Rail and I only caught a glimpse of one Kingfisher. Only a few Marsh Harriers were seen.

There was hardly anything to see from the large hide and so I moved on in the direction of the main gate. A Robin showed itself, one White Wagtail flew and a Southern Grey Shrike perched and called. From the small hide which overlooks the main water (which is over full with four people in it) I could see in the distance Shellduck and no Flamingos were in sight. Closer in there were Lapwing sheltering in the sun. Across the road in the other direction were more Lapwing and Black-tailed Godwits.

I like the viewing position of the board walk, but there was not that much to see. Again it was quiet, but Crag Martins put on a very good aerial show flying low and around me. I checked the usual perches for any raptor and eventually found one that I believe was a juvenile Bonnelli's Eagle perched on a pylon. It was some distance away and it was confirmed that one had been seen that morning (and previously) and also confirmed by Antonio. It was a good bird to finish the morning with. Water levels are now high and are close to the viewing area on the boardwalk with the channels all brim full. I had no view of the Spotted Eagle this time.



No comments:

Post a Comment