Friday 12 August 2016

Nualla Ellwood - My Sister's Bones

Harrogate Crime Writer's Festival provided another gem for me. It is good to hear and see the top crime writers, but it is even better when an event comes up with a new name. This was the case when I went into the 'Dead Good Writers' Awards'. They were giving away freebies and so it was packed with jostling people. Despite this I picked up My Sister's Bones by Nualla Ellwood. Okay it is a limited edition proof and it is a signed copy to add to our collection.

This is one of the best reads that I have had in a long time. In my opinion it is that good. Obviously it has to be well written and I cannot fault any of the language or the way that the story is told. It is complex with many facets involved and coming together eventually. The reader has to decide as the pages get turned as to what is real or what is not real. There is so much in this book that travels from a domestic childhood scene, into a journalistic world of war and all that seeing would entail and then back again to domestic settings. It moves at a good rate and is never dull. Sometimes the reader's level of sanity is questioned by this book.

That is all you will get of this book from me as I never want to spoil a damn good read! It will linger in my memory for a long time. I enjoyed it. The research to finalize the details must have been thorough and intense. Apparently she has another book on the way and I will read that one too.

No comments:

Post a Comment