Sunday 27 April 2014

Not a good Sunday

NOT A GOOD SUNDAY
I thought I would say something topical or in other words something which motivated (but not inspired) me to write or I could even say, I want to rant. A subject fed intravenously, like a drip from a tap, growing increasingly irritating as the noise reverberates into a growing crescendo.

It is a Sunday morning, blue skies, healthy exercise and good company. Everything should be fine, but it is not. The 24/7 news is always there with the world problems selected or not, for inclusion. This morning the news programmes are seduced by The Vatican's show of introducing two saints to an already overcrowded list. Thousands attended to be there at the dual canonisation of two former Popes. It doesn't matter how godly they were or what great people they were, but what does matter to me is the falseness involved in how to become a 'saint'. Why not remember their contribution to the world and praise them for that. If you have read history then you might remember the antics of some religious people who made relics and sold them to the believers - for money of course.

I am not a Catholic, I do not like the iconography, the feeling of power that it appears to create or the immense show of wealth where there are so many needy people in this world. Then, for me, the final need to object. Mugabe was there. Why? Isn't this man as corrupt as he can possibly be having ruined an economy and eliminated many of his 'own' people.

There you have it. A killer being allowed to sit with the hoi polloi of the Catholic World. Shameful. Or is it better to talk with dictators rather than exclude them?

Or should we embrace him because 'Catholicity makes us pure minded, charitable, truthful and generous' it has been said. I can only hope that this view spreads.

No comments:

Post a Comment