Thursday 14 February 2013

NON-BIRDING WIND

While English temperatures have been below zero with several dustings of snow all we can complain about here in San Miguel is the gusting wind which has been up to 40 kmph. The blue skies and afternoon temperatures are great but that wind does not help. I watched my first, (on 6th February) House Martin – Avion Comun – battling, more correctly being blown around by the wind. However it was going north. I remember it was this time last year when I saw one visiting an old nest in the centre of San Miguel. Viewing small birds in these conditions is not easy but they still have to be about to eat.

I am delighted to say that an Eagle Owl – Buho Real - site that I found several years ago is still very active. We heard two calling and on our second visit we saw one sitting at the base of a pine tree which was Michelle’s second sighting ever. This one being a much closer view than the one the other week. We have now made contact with a local Spanish birder who visits the nest sites, evaluates and rings.

The wind is not due abate this week so we will just have to be patient. However, when checking this area out in full daylight I saw a Great White Egret – Garceta Grande – hunting along the fringes of the diminishing Embalse de la Pedrera. No eagles but very active with Kestrels – Cernicalo Vulgar - and Little Owls – Mochuelo Europea. I just cannot compete with Julian Sykes who is Sierra Morena who has had some wonder sightings of mammals, including Lynx, bats, a snake, as well as eagles and kites. I think that I am in the wrong place but we have the Figueres region to visit in March and then New York in April. I am lining up the birding trips but in the meantime I will carry on checking out our Buho Reals.

No comments:

Post a Comment