Sunday 7 October 2012

The need to see open spaces again found me heading towards The Eagle Owl site. It was late in the afternoon when I put the scope onto a known perch for this large bird. The distance here is great and as I was about to leave I saw a 'falcon' with a kill in that same tree. I could see the white face markings only with the magnification as high as possible which leads to think that it may have been a Peregrine Falcon. This hour or so saw many swallows heading south and not a lot else.

Saturday involved a hot walk into La Mata and again the swallows were very evident but nothing exceptional until I put the scope on an Osprey perched on the island. The lake was almost totally devoid of waders or other water birds.A loud bang saw the Osprey together with about 10 gulls fly away.However this lone bird did make the effort worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment