Thursday 27 May 2021

Theakestons Old Peculier Crime Novel of the Year Award

 Book Review.               The Last Crossing


Author.                          Brian McGilloway


Publisher.                      Constable (in 2021)


I’ve not read Brian McGilloway before but since it was on the Harrogate Crime Writers Festival long list I felt I had to give it a go. I did not know what it was about and started to read without any  knowledge of any comments from any other authors. I like to read it as I find it without influence.


Initially it was bloody depressing and I persevered for several chapters before deciding that I would read more, but I stuck at it! I am glad that I did for it is an incredible story. I know it has been said that stories are to entertain the reader and with the scenarios created within The Last Crossing that could have been difficult for me. Entertaining or otherwise this is an exceptionally well crafted story, and told with a vigour that encouraged me to read on and want to know more. To want to know what the hell was going on and why.


The background is of the sectarian violence in Northern Island thirty plus years ago and with a more recent dialogue in Scotland. It is not just about violence and retribution and whatever that created for human behaviour and wellbeing can be read within these pages. There are so many personal issues included within the main theme and I applaud the author for doing that skilfully. The characters are complex but well sought out. I did not grow to love any of them, but I could feel their sadness and regrets.


The Last Crossing is a stand-alone but he has six in The Inspector Devlin series and five more with The DS Lucy Black series. Mentioned in case you want to read more of his work. There are many plaudits by authors that I have read and which I only read afterwards. I can influence myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment