Tuesday 11 May 2021

BOOK REVIEW - JUST ABOUT IN THE CRIME GENRE

 Book Review


Title.            Those Who Disappeared


Author.         Kevin Wignall


Publisher.     Thomas & Mercer, Seattle


I like to pick up a book ‘cold’ without prior knowledge of the writer although the genre will be known and the fame of the author will give an indication. We receive two books per month from Capital Crime with this one arriving with a Lynda la Plante novel.


The prologue sets out the precept of what the story could be about. The location intrigues and is told through ‘Brett’ who had no further part to play! I thought that was strange and by the end of the book I had forgotten about him.


Thirty five chapters and just over 200 pages makes it a shortish read. I was comfortable with the style and the pace it moved at. I enjoyed and it kept me wanting to know what the end result was going to be. On that front it worked well.


Foster Traherne never knew his parents and when one is found in a glacier that is when his search  starts. The book takes off from there and he enquires about the people who knew his father. Again characters drive the story onwards and into the world of the group who 30 years previously had known both parents. That interested me immensely and how Foster managed to inveigle the truth out of resistant interviewees. 


There is a love story included and Foster’s past with his fellow art students is a facet that runs through the pages until the very end. I felt that the a new found companion was ‘a bit of an add on’ and the reason they met is contrived and if she had became an important piece of the plot that would have seemed better. I even began to think that she had a dark side! But, no.  I also thought his thoughts on his previous arty-mates condescending. That’s my view but for all of that an enjoyable read.


No comments:

Post a Comment