Saturday 23 July 2016

A Full Day at a Crime Festival

Last evening's award ceremony with Clare Macintosh winning with 'I Let You Go' and Val McDermid's achievements being recognized at the beginning of the festival. The words that flowed from Mark Billingham for Val McDermid were endearing and even loving in relation to this writer and to how she had contributed to writing and to the crime genre. Her reply was just as warm and also humble insomuch that she thanked the readers.

The beer jolly is now over and there are two and a half days of the serious stuff with authors being lightly grilled about how they got the kernel of an idea and how they developed the plot. First up this morning was Linwood Barclay and Mark Billingham in the chair. I have not read Barclay, but he has many books to his name and he is very popular.

Next up was Peter James (of Roy Grace and Brighton fame) with a whole panel of people that included writers and Graham Bartlett who was the contact for Police detail in the books. The idea of this event was the thought that 'You Couldn't Make it up or Could You' where real life cases were discussed and does life imitate art far more than art imitate life. In this event Ysra Sigurdardottir was introduced as a new writer to the English scene.

At noon we sat in for Domestic Suspense - The Killer Behind The Front Door with an all women panel. I made more notes on this hour than I thought was possible beforehand. I was considering what the 'under-story' could be which I think I will have to give more consideration to after a period of reflection,

Set a Scientist to Catch a Killer was chaired by Peter James whose brief was to elicit facts from his inspiration for Roy Grace an ex-C.I.D officer Dave Gaylor and a forensic podiatrist Hadyn Kelly. Dr. Brooke Magnanti with a doctorate in forensic science and Belle de Jour, Elly Griffiths with an interest in forensic archaeologist and Kate Medina who has studied psychology all added to this interesting mix.

A new event for both of us was the Dead Good Reader Awards. It was packed as there were gifts on offer. Michelle picked up six books and I walked away with a signed copy of My Sister's Bones by Nuala Ellwood. She was lovely and I thanked her and wished her well.

Finally for entertainment Susan Calman chatted to Val McDermid. Funny, yes, but with many reference to their sexuality. As far as I am concerned it was too much as I try to treat everyone the same irrespective of what they say that they are. But that is me. It is what is inside the person that really matter.

We forwent the last event and sat out on an English Summer's evening and supped ale. great it was.



No comments:

Post a Comment