Friday 14 March 2014

IT'S CALLED WRITING

I have been doing that old fashioned thing. It is called writing. On our last trip to England I decided to keep a journal and to write it all in longhand just to see what the result would be.

I was amazed with the amount that I wrote. On occasions I made notes, as opposed to making complete entries, which later became finished articles. I was even able to scribble down a couple of poems which more or less were complete.

On a Monday morning between nine and ten I sat in Ledbury Churchyard with the garden of remembrance in front of me, looking, noting the movements of people and birds and listening to the organist playing behind me. Time to think is important but taking the time to do it is more so. That sixty minutes provided me with the inspiration to write two poems.

Four and half weeks of journal writing have given me ideas that have lasted up to the present day. Some, are still work in progress having been freshly laid down this week. I have produced ten completed poems together with several pages in my memoir. I think that is, a damned good haul!
I would not be satisfied with any of them if it had not been for my friends in Stanza Mar Menor with whom their support and feedback has proved to be invaluable.

I am also encouraged by being a member The Poetry Society in London and by becoming a friend of The Ledbury Poetry Festival. They have helped to create The Poetry Orchard and invited 'apple poems' to be written and submitted. I have five that have passed the test with my peers.

Inspiration comes from many directions, but Herefordshire is apple country and it is part of me. My great grandfather was an expert on cider apples as his obituary tells me but, would it not be good to converse with him?

I have been reminded, that my blog, had been neglected by me and so I plead guilty as charged, but I am now making amends for it.

GET OUT AND SEE

If entries on my blog were not existent then my birding trips have been lacking as well. Things are on the move out there. The migration started weeks ago and has yet to peak and so there should be no opportunities spurned.

Yesterday afternoon, thanks to a chance meeting when having a beer, I spent several hours with Enrique whose family own land nearby. What a wonderful time in an area I would not otherwise have had access to. Several Stone Curlew and Partridge flew from off the fields and there was numerous birds feeding in the uncultivated areas. All flighty and moving fast in the wind.
Amongst the pines there was ample evidence of the (Spanish) Red Squirrel but the beauty of the day was when an Eagle Owl flew from its daytime perch. That is my third such owl site and the dry river bed or 'Ramblas' that it was in has got to be a great site for warblers when they arrive. More visits are required but my next trip will be to El Hondo Natural Park.

1 comment:

  1. All inspirational stuff. It is amazing where it comes from, but a worthwhile hour spent in Ledbury. Some wonderful words came from there. M

    ReplyDelete