Thursday 28 June 2012

SOMEWHERE IN IRELAND.

SOMEWHERE IN IRELAND.
A Journey of Discovery by Linda Whittenberg
with artwork by Lillie Morris.

I was fortunate to receive this book courtesy of our mail systems from our friends in Ireland. After unwrapping it, the artwork entitled ‘Thinking of Ireland’ on its cover grabbed my attention. The wonderfully eye catching work of Lillie Morris runs throughout the book and is such a joy to see.

Linda has visited Ireland previously and has been a visitor to Listowell’s Writer Week. This year she brought this book with her. She has every right to claim her ancestry in the west of Ireland but to do that she visited places that gave her the inspiration to write some truly great lines. The poems and narratives take you with her on her journey. Her sense of belonging and her connection with her ancestors is incredibly strong. We all need to know our roots, after all.

This is a wonderful piece of writing that touches on ‘The Irish Diaspora’, the Irish in America and a woman seeking some of her past.

I can dip in and be reflective on particular lines because it says so- but I will leave that for you to do.
I think that it would be wrong of me to pick any particular piece out as I found that each had its own merits. It’s a book that I can return to time and time again, dip into it and to enjoy it even more.

I enjoyed every page of it.

You can view her website on www.lindawhittenberg.com where you can order this book.





No comments:

Post a Comment