Tuesday 26 June 2012

POETRY IN SESTUDE FORM

I thought that it was time that I would mention ‘Poetry’. The Stanza Mar Menor Poetry Group ( a stanza of the Poetry Society based in London) have written in a form called ‘Sestude’. If twenty six different poets – one for each letter of the alphabet- can write about items contained in The Victoria and Albert Museum then so can other ordinary mortals. This style has 62 words of which 26 words are ‘reflective’ in nature.
Most of us have some history around us of a personal nature. There is one item which has formed the subject matter of the first one has been with me all my life. The other subject matter is, I believe, evident.

Here are my own sestudes.


TOASTING FORK
Often you poked my fingers into the fire,
you held me so tight, your knuckles bearing
the heat stoically.

All this for a thick piece of The Baker’s split tin
white loaf - just right to be crisped over flaming logs

Beef dripping warming on the hearth,
pausing for hot toast

ready for the knife to come

to slice your memories
into bite-size chunks


THREE COLLARS
Three collars hang from the post
at the end of the white balustrade
protecting the top of the steps leading
to freedom.

They are empty now -- released
by their owners – no longer required

Never more than a symbol of possession,
a place for a disc, a telephone number - if needed

Now they hang with our memories
of lives we loved and protected.

No comments:

Post a Comment